Final Pictures, Final Thoughts

Thursday, May 6, 2010

May 6 update

May 6
Just left Abuja at 10:15, right time but only after two bag xrays,
three different bag searches, one electronic body search and one pat
down. Funny thing, after you go through all that, you can buy soda or
water. But 5 minutes later, they confiscate it as you board the plane.
Bet they resell the unopened ones. Though they don't live too far from
the airport, it took two hours driving cuz of traffic. Five of us
piled into UU's SUV, Of course UU, Sintiki, Kisha, Sawi, (Sintiki's
sister) and my unexpected flight companion, Sintiki's niece Adati who
will be with me up to NY where she heads off to Iowa for school.
 
Now cruising at 36,000 ft around 500mph
Last two days were productive. We raced around Abuja yesterday trying
to find a FireWire card for the office computer so they could download
video from there new camcorder. Today I installed it and everything
works according to plan.
Have you ever noticed on the last night of a big trip, you start to
regret things you didn't do? Well I didn't want that happening to me.
All week I wanted to climb the hill near UU's home (picture of it in
the very first slideshow). So here was Rotgak getting ready to drop me
off at the house when I noticed no power again. I turn to Rot and ask,
"got any plans?". When he said he didn't, I replied, "Let's Climb!".
So off
We went to the hill with no name. Took me more than a few breaks to
get to the top but the view was awesome. From there I got pictures of
UU's condo,      And alot of Abuja. Not to to mention on the other
side was the National soccer stadium. We towered over all of it. So
after taking my pictures, we named it "Kisha Rock". Of course pix will
follow. Oh, and on the way down, not one break, hehe. UU was amazed
we did it. He said no one here climbs it since there is no reason to
but as in one of my favorite Peter Mayer songs, "Yukon Sally",
"Climbing is only half the joy, you might reach the peak. But that's
not the point."

No comments: