Final Pictures, Final Thoughts

Saturday, May 1, 2010

On our Way to Obudu Mountain Resort (with a stop at Moms)

April 29th, 10:30 PM

 Great, wonderful, tonight while sipping my Maltina (a non-alchoholic malt classic) I have a laptop WITH a camera I might add and no one to talk to. Wifes at the gallery, daughters in school, and son's too busy killing zombies or watching a movie, not sure which. Anyways, I leave tomorrow morning at 6 for a long road trip south. Be away three days. But might get internet while there. Will post when I can.

April 30

hello hello
Day started at 5:00 AM, and after some quick packing, we headed out for an eight hour road trip, cross country. Utiang drove the whole way since I don't have a Nigerian drivers license but I bet I could buy one cheap. (JK) We've stopped by to visit his widowed mom Utianglikong, sister Ashiema and brother Akomie. They live in the village of Bekukwel (which means "People from the Hills") After a brief visit, we headed to our final destination, Obudu Mountain Resort.



This place is a mountain top resort 5,173 feet above sea level and the road leading to the top would make my wife cry with it's 22 hairpin turns riding up the cliffs. At least it made UU's wife Sintiki cry. Tomorrow morning our guide Clifford will take us on a three hour hike to a different peak for some photographs, then it's back to the hotel to take a tram ride. But this is like none you've ever seen. It's the longest in the world at 11 kilometers. (look it up Americans, I did) I was watching some chickflick (hey remember, 10 channels here)  on the tv but never saw the end of it since it's lights out at 11:30. Power is only on in the rooms from 6-9 AM and 6-11:30 PM. Riding up the hill was amazing as we were being chased by a rainstorm. but I was able to snap some interesting shots before it caught up to us.

I'm going to try to upload some pictures but I took a couple of hundred today and I need to spend some time editing them......in the dark. Feels kinda like a little kid staying up in his room with a flashlight after you've been told to shut your lights and go to bed. Maybe I should take the laptop under the covers with me so I don't get caught. I might have luck since it appears the wifi is still alive so I just have to run against battery time.

Pictures in the album will have geotags meaning if you open them on the Picassa website and you click on a picture, Google maps will appear on the right and you can see where in the world I was standing when I took it. That's all tonight, Lights out.

1 comment:

S said...

Hey, we never could get any tv reception. I guess you don't get much for $450/night.

BTW, I paid $50 USD for my Nigerian driver's license. I don't know if the whole license is a fake or if they just faked the test for me and gave me a real license.

Spencer